Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Day Without Snow

We got the much anticipated 5am phone call this morning! Hooray! We got a snow day, and what was the first order of business? I went downstairs to ask my oldest how to turn his alarm off so he didn't have to get up, of course. Then I went back to bed. I was up most of the night with Rose. She was just having one of those nights. She got up at 1am and didn't go back to sleep until around 5am. It's a good thing I didn't have to get up to get kids to school today, I slept til 9am.

What defines a snow day? Like earlier this week, we found out that a blizzard isn't about the amount of snow that falls, snow days don't require snow. Unlike yesterday, where we woke up to another 4-8 inches of snow, today it was just TOO COLD to go to school. Our high today is going to be -2 but most of the day it's only supposed to be -10. I may have to reconsider wanting to live in a warmer climate. Where else do you get a day off because it's too cold? That would never happen somewhere like Florida. What does a day that is too cold for school look like you ask? Have a look.


Notice how the snow is piled up to keep people from coming to knock on our front door.

I love our icicles!
And, a shot of the top of the back deck. Maybe before the whole system of snow is finished the chair will be completely covered.

How is your Thursday shaping up? Do you have snow where you live, freezing temperatures, or is it warm and sunny?

6 comments:

Gratitude Gal said...

We don't get snow days down here in sunny south Florida but we have had tropical storm days and hurricane days where school was closed. I remember snow days when I was a kid. The only bad part was having to make them up on a great day later on! The icicles are gorgeous. I hope you are staying warm.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

That is freakin' cold. On another blog that I read, they were talking about canceled school in Idaho for -30 temps.

It's cold for us today with lows in the teens. But...I am inside and toasty warm. I wonder how chilly Madalyn will be on her walk home!

Star Forbis said...

Thank you so much for visiting my Blog today & Laughing with me.
Come back anytime.

Maki said...

Ahem... did you just say "-10" ??? We're saying "watch out for our first freez" and it's only 35!!! Well, we're in FL (LOL) Hawaii where I grew up don't go below 55 (up in the moutains we have snow though) and people in the islands say they are cold once it hits 70.. So spoiled!!!!

Thank you so much for supporting my big day past Wednesday - it's kind of belated to say hello, but it's taking me forever to visit everyone who left me comment that day. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me - it means a lot to me..

Have a great weekend and stay in touch!!!

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Are you telling me it's worth suffering God knows how many almost snow days to get a snow day now and again?

It was sunny and 68 today here in Sacramento. So, you wanna re-re-think that move?

cat said...

Oh gosh, such pretty photos. Off course, we only dream of snow here in Africa.