Monday, November 10, 2008

Wanna Bite?

After reading the book, Twilight, over the weekend (okay it didn’t even took 24hours, I’m a REALLY fast reader), I decided it might be fun to investigate some other popular vamipres of the screen. Let’s start at the beginning, shall we.
Who could forget Nosferatu,. Ya gotta admit that the silent screen stars had the creepy thing down.

Of course we then have Bela Lugosi’s Dracula.

One of my favorite vampire’s of the screen is Barnabus Collins of Dark Shadow’s. C’mon, when you can turn supernatural into a soap opera you have me. What’s more fun than vampires and ghosts on daytime television?

Skip a few years and we come to a very tan vampire version of Dracula played by George Hamilton in the film, Love at First Bite.

How about the cult favorite, The Lost Boys? You all know you’ve seen it, and loved it, and can’t picture Kiefer Sutherland any other way, and what about the Corey’s?

Who here hasn’t seen the 1992 version of Bram Stocker’s Dracula? Gary Oldman, Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder? Ring any bells??? This is the first movie that I actually feel bad for the guy and want him to win the girl and live happily ever after.

Two years later brought Anne Rice’s, Interview with a Vampire, to the big screen. Louis and Lestat. What more do I really need to say about them?

When the series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, aired we were introduced to our first really “good” vampire with Angel. A vampire with a soul, who’ll turn evil at the first moment of happiness, and of course cute too. We were also introduced to Spike, a not so good vampire who redeems himself in the end and we all love him too.
Finally a female vampire! Another Anne Rice novel brought to the big screen with , Queen of the Damned. We get our first real lead vampire with estrogen.

Then there’s Blade, the hybrid vampire. Another good vampire fighting bad vampires, plus he’s got a really cool sword.

Kate Beckinsale dons a latex outfit to become a hunting vampire in Underworld. Where she’s tormented between staying loyal to her Vampire family or getting to know the truth about their relationship with their mortal enemies, the werewolves.

Finally we have some new blood with the HBO series, True Blood. A series about giving vampires their rights and trying to live with them in your neighborhood. How can you not love a vampire named Bill? He’s got it all down. The inner turmoil trying to find his place, the brooding, the protectiveness, the southern charm.

Last, but not least, and the real reason to even write this post is Edward Cullen. As you may have read in my last post, I finally picked up a copy of Twilight. I had it finished in under 24hours. What can I say? I’m a fast reader, but double fast when I like what I’m reading. I could not put the book down! I’m absolutely in love with the characters, and am cheering for Bella and Edward. So, to all you Twilight cultists (the book ones, not the ones in WoW), you have me and I’ve shaved my head and joined your cult. It’s a good read and will promptly be forcing everyone I know, who hasn’t already, to go read the book (and series).
Have you read any good books with vampires in them lately? Would you let one bite you?

3 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Really good vampire book? Why yes. Yes I have. You must read "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. And then...wonderful smut...and a great mythology...is JR Ward's series...start with "Dark Lover."

Queenie Jeannie said...

I second The Historian!! I discovered this before the Twilight series and realllllly loved it.

As for Twilight, I read all four books in four days. Family wasn't happy with me but it was completely beyond my control...

Jen said...

Hmmm I'll have to add Twilight to my books to read list. =) OMG I LOVELOVELOVE the Blade movies!! Actually I love most of the movies you listed [I'm a big vampy fan too!] - but I have to admit I haven't seen a few of those older films. I prefer the modern sexy vampire vs. the classic horror flick ones.

Anyways - totally off topic - have you gotten your Wrath expansion pack yet? =) I think I'm going to fire up my account again this weekend! You guys play Horde right? Which server are you on - and do you have a guild? We may be in the market for a new server home. =) Email me if you like - jennifer.rebecca at hotmail.

<3