Tuesday, October 21, 2008

the things mommies have to do


Friday is the end of first quarter for all three of my boys. I'm not really so worried about how Todd will do, after all it's only kindergarten. My middle school giant, Chris, has been struggling and working hard to make sure he gets good grades this quarter. Probably because he knows the consequences if he doesn't. *imagine evil laughter and a finger pointing at a spider filled dank, dark, dungeon like room-- oh wait, that's his bedroom*. Sam, as a freshman, already has an ify past when it comes to school work. It's not that he can't do the work, he doesn't want to do the work. Seriously, last year he got an F in English and when I asked him what happend, he said "I didn't want to do the work. I'd rather play video games, read a book, or be on the computer". Well, at least he was honest about it. What did he get for all that honesty? He got video game priviledges, computer time, and television time all taken away until he could get his grades up. That's the running rule here. If you get an F in any subject you lose all priviledges, and this year we've taked on after school clubs. Thankfully they aren't in any sports, but it took me years to get them interested in anything attached to school and this year they are both in lots of activities (Sam does gaming club and anime club, Chris does yearbook club and board game club). I don't want to take those away from them! Today we looked at their grades online. Do ya'll have that where you are? The online grade books? Those are my new best friend and nemesis all rolled into one. I love seeing if they are doing their work (because this thing breaks it down into every tiny detail of each class) and what they are, or aren't missing, and all those great tests grades. I hate seeing missing assignments, especially when I hear, "of course I did all my homework". We decided we'd look today so that we aren't blind sided when report cards come home in a few weeks. Sam has sqeaked by and gets to keep everything! Yay! I was so happy I pulled him on my lap and squeezed him. Chris, on the other hand, ended up in his room crying. It drives me crazy, his tests are all A's but his assignments aren't. I hate taking things away from all the kids, but for some reason those big ones have extra soft spots with me. Maybe it's because they are my oldest babies, and I don't ever want them to forget that, no matter how many siblings they get. ;p

So what about any of you? How do you deal with report card? grades? How do you motivate your kids to do their best?

Here are pictures of my oldest two, way back when they still looked little (they are holding Rose).


No comments: